I’ve written and edited Mad Theatrics, a live theater review and commentary site since 2006. Reviews on the site are aggregated by Bitter Lemons in their LemonMeter, and we’ve been featured a few times on their website.
Writing samples of plays and screenplays I’ve penned may be found on my Scribd page.
For the Screen
- Rick and Morty spec – “Möbius Rick” Co-written with my comedy partner, Phillip Kelly. Rick and Morty adventure through booby-trapped spacetime in order to stop a merciless prankster version of Rick, while Jerry discovers Beth’s secret checking account.
- Parks and Recreation spec – “Baby Philomena” With Parks and Rec off the air, this writing sample is sadly past its “best by” date.
- Happiest Place – “Pilot” An unemployed, late 20-something reaches for his dream job only to get stuck with the same theme park job he had as a teenager. Spec sitcom pilot based in part upon my experience working at a certain theme park in Anaheim.
- Esprit de Corpse is The Office meets Night of the Living Dead as a company retreat ends in horror. (Features a riff on the Mercury Theater “War of the Worlds” broadcast.)
- “Dad Bod” is an unproduced comedy short; a commercial for a fitness plan that promises to give men the coveted dad bod.
- The World’s Smallest Ren Faire – Viral Video is an online commercial I wrote for a fundraiser we held at the theater company I co-founded. You can see the finished video here.
For the Stage
- Tracing Sonny is a romantic comedy about the baggage we carry with us from childhood, and how that baggage has the potential to dominate our personal relationships as adults.
- Diving In is a one act play about an artist literally on the edge, in the last moments of her life.
- Pin-Up Girls follows a troupe of San Francisco burlesque dancers as they encounter the new-found freedom — and the consequences of exercising that freedom — American women discovered during World War II.
- Pulp Graveyard Volume I Issue 1 is the first episode of a weekly, live staged “radio show” that dramatized public domain comic book stories and advertisements. Four “issues” (episodes) of Pulp Graveyard were produced, with material written by Matt Ryan and Pamela Moore.
- Santa Baby is a short piece about two former mall elves, and their romantic travails. It gets weird.
- Sex in Awkward Places unproduced one act that certainly lives up to its name! A group of degenerates self-destructs in one epic evening.
NOTE: Except as otherwise noted on the individual Scribd pages (I think Diving In and Pulp Graveyard are under Creative Commons licenses) performance rights for the above are reserved. If you are interested in producing one of my works, shoot me an email. I’m very reasonable.